SERVICE WRITER AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST
The Lift Garage is a nonprofit that offers people a vehicle out of poverty by providing low-cost car repair, free pre-purchase car inspections, and honest advice that supports our community on the road to more secure lives. We connect with community partners to strengthen the support network and link customers to needed resources. The Lift Garage is a car repair shop that has a unique blend of business and service with a high value on hospitality. While the ideal applicant for this position would have a working knowledge of cars, car parts, car repairs, it is not required. Applicants should be able to prioritize tasks and balance multiple needs while maintaining a calm, kind, compassionate and hospitable environment for customers.
The Service Writer and Customer Service Specialist reports to the Office and Customer Relations Manager and will regularly perform the following job duties:
- Complete the daily opening or closing checklist for the shop, take out garbage and recycling, set alarms, etc.
- Greet customers as they arrive for appointments, offer hospitality and maintain a clean and welcoming lobby area
- Answer phones, listen to and return voice messages, make confirmation calls prior to appointments
- Schedule customers for upcoming appointments, maintain customer cancellation list and call customers to fill open appointments in schedule
- Develop a working knowledge of cars, car parts, repairs and labor estimates and work with technicians and vendors to find and order car parts
- Communicate clearly and effectively with technicians, provide oversight to technician work flow
- Communicate with customer about technician’s inspection findings, recommended car repairs and associated costs for parts and labor, or when vehicle is not worth investing in
- Organize incoming car parts by repair order, communicate car part returns with vendors and manage returns that are under warranty
- Receive customer payments, track weekly payments and assist with data entry as requested
- Complete reports for Management on vehicle re-checks and other daily appointment tracking when necessary
- Provide oversight for front desk volunteers and offer guidance when necessary
- Attend organization-wide fundraising events and assist for special events as requested
- Punctuality and good attendance
- Patience, kindness, empathy and hospitality
- Conflict resolution and effective communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office and ability to quickly learn RO Writer software
Position is full time $17/hour with benefits. Typical hours Tuesday-Saturday. Applicants should send their cover letter and resume to JoHanna Smrcina, Office and Customer Relations Manager at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
The Lift Garage Mission
The Lift Garage offers people a vehicle out of poverty by:
- Providing low-cost quality car repair;
- Offering skilled job training in the field of auto mechanics;
- Connecting with community partners to strengthen the support network; and
- Linking customers with other needed resources.
The Mobile Technician position requires the following duties:
- Driving The Lift Garage van around the Twin Cities metro area to assess customer vehicles.
- Inspecting and evaluating vehicles
- Use critical thinking skills to determine what tests and other inspections need to be run to do an effective assessment of the vehicles.
- Maintain professional communication and boundaries with customers.
- Accurately document each assessment and effectively communicate with both the customer and service writer.
- Keep the vehicle and other work areas clean
- Other duties as assigned
The Technician position requires the following duties:
- Working as an automotive technician in the shop when not out in the mobile van.
- Maintains condition by listening to operator complaints; conducting inspections; repairing mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions; replacing parts and components.
- Verifies vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives.
- Follows all applicable local, state, and federal laws regarding hazardous waste and operation of a motor vehicle.
- Maintains vehicle records by recording service and repairs, in conjunction with service writer.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Keeps the shop organized and clean by cleaning, sorting, filing and other duties when not working on vehicles.
- In keeping with the mission of The Lift Garage, provides repairs that are as low cost as possible while still ensuring safety and drivability of the vehicle.
- Effectively communicates with the volunteers and service writers to ensure proper parts are ordered.
- Punctuality and good attendance expected
- Background and/or education in auto repair
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent judgment
- Strong Communication Skills
FT position Tuesday-Saturday daytime hours.
Compensation: $16/hr plus full benefit package.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Cathy Heying, [email protected]